Monday, March 13, 2017

Woodchips and Cherry Coke

Woodchips and Cherry Coke fused plastic collage and stitching 11 x 12 cm

While walking the other day, I found a sunbleached cherry coke wrapper.  I also discovered that I had found some plastic the week before, so I dipped into that plastic as well.  And I finished off the chicken's woodchips, so I had that to add to the pile. Exciting things like stripes from a caramel wafer bar (found plastic) and the fuscia of a cherry coke wrapper, do not guarantee an exciting fused plastic collage. Even the lavender of a rocket salad wrapper can die under the iron.

I arranged and ironed and cut and ironed and after a while the plastic was tough and the colour was getting stained from the melted ink.  In the end I cut things down to about 11 x 12 cm, pulled some pictures out of a book I keep around (someone's funny family photos) that I bought in a Stowmarket charity shop, dabbed a bit of color on the faces and clothes and began to sew.

I'll put some UV varnish over it and probably send it out as mail art. This one is a curiosity and was demanding to complete, in the way an over-worked painting can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment