Thursday, February 9, 2017

Beetroot and Ties

Beetroot and Ties, fused plastic collage with stitching, 16x16cm

A few weeks ago my friend, the poet and educationalist Jeni Smith, gave me a couple of bags she had collected: beetroot, parsnip and vegetable crisps. They are deep colours and the plastic fuses well. Patrick had also been eating crisps: and his bag was fuchsia with black (ridged popchips - smoky bacon flavoured). That bag was silver lined so tricker to use. I may have had one or two of Patrick's crisps, but this fused plastic collage is a mixture of my dining and that of others. The wonderful turquoise comes from the bag that held the handle tie freezer bags. Other plastic comes from  potatoes, carrots, toilet paper and  there was a red bag I had that I needed to use in order to create the intensity beetroots need. As I worked I wanted to evoke a sense of the movement of unearthing root vegetables - red sky at night.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! And I like knowing the source of your plastic and how it all ties into your theme.

    ReplyDelete