Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Exciting new project to prepare for!

Nocturne in Turquoise and Gold, fused plastic collage and stitching (responding to Whistler) 
I met with Michele Webber last week to discuss one of her latest events. She is coordinating and participating in a show at the Minories in August and asked me to take part as one of the artists with a 'solo show' taking over a room upstairs. The theme is plastic pollution around East Anglia and particularly on the beaches/oceans. I will be showing fused plastic and opened books.  Sometime in August I'll also be doing an interactive demonstration about my plastic process.

If you folllow my other blog: https://virtualdrawinggroup.blogspot.com you will know that I haven't been focusing on my plastic so much lately, although I did have a piece in a show in Hailsham, East Sussex recently which coincidentally was about the sea 
Plastic Flotsum, for Vital Water Week, fused plastic collage with stitching
For the show at the Minories my first thought is to make a series of pieces responding to some of my favourite sea paintings, using found fused plastic. Nocturne in Gold (top) is my first piece using this idea and it is in response to Whistler's nocturne number 5.  Obviously we will have to see how that goes but I loved really looking at Whistler, thinking about the way he breaks up space and the marks he makes - finding a language to describe what whistler says and does using plastic is a different kind of challenge. Now I need a title for the body of work I am imagining making.

No comments:

Post a Comment