Sunday, April 7, 2019

Homer and the Deconstructed Book

Rocky Shore Aldeburgh, fused plastic on paper with stitching,  25x20 cm
 I looked at a delicate sketch by Winslow Homer for Rocky Shore Aldeburgh. I am exploring the potential of holes and the way the colour bleeds through and the mark making potential.  I love the purple in the centre. 

While walking Lyra I wondered whether I could make a fused plastic book by deconstructing a book, preparing it as pages (so I could sew on them), adding to them and using fused plastic to respond to words on the pages. Obviously that was possible, so got on with it. 
Racing Cutters, fused plastic and stitch on altered book page,  24x18cm
One thing I forgot about was that the two page spreads would not be facing pages, so will have to think that through differently and work on a few pages at the same time to get the desired effect.  This book, entiteld 'Looming Lights' will be put back together to make a new shorter book.  There will be 32 pages with 16 fused plastic collages total.  I will try some opened books (a book opened and glued that way with an image on the top page) for the Minories show in this way too.
A Handful of Pebbles, fused plastic and stitch on altered book page, 24x18

No comments:

Post a Comment